Current situation and Outlook
- Conventional fermentation-based DNA production methods are very complex, and the yield of produced DNA is relatively low, which is one of the factors contributing to the very high cost of gene therapies.
- 4basebio has recognized the ever-increasing global demand for high-purity, pharmaceutical grade DNA. Using the company’s proprietary enzymatic technologies, it has developed processes in which the DNA is manufactured entirely synthetically with minimal effort and in large quantities.
- By expanding its own technologies to produce pharmaceutical grade DNA, 4basebio intends to play a future key position in the mass production of gene therapies and DNA vaccines as a partner of pharmaceutical industry worldwide.
- 4basebio will advance the development of its proprietary enzymatic technologies to produce linear DNA sections with small end pieces, so-called hairpinDNA (hpDNA). The flexible design of the “hairpin” end pieces of 4basebio’s DNA enables a wide range of diverse applications, a feature that distinguishes 4basebio’s technology from its competitors.
- The expertise and experience of 4basebio with the complex enzymatic processes of synthetic DNA production forms the foundation for a cell-freeDNA production process that can produce large quantities of DNA in much smaller reaction volumes and in substantially shorter time frames compared to conventional fermentation based approaches. The synthetic approach yields a product of higher performance and higher purity: hpDNA, which can be deployed into gene therapies.
- 4basebio’s goal is to scale up the successful production of high purity hpDNA in 4basebio’s laboratory and to establish production processes that enable the production of pharmaceutical grade (GMP) hpDNA on an industrial scale.